So, i google’d about 32-bit vs 64-bit performance on x264 and look what i’ve found, a full benchmark and comparison between number of core(s), die-shrink, and architecture (Intel vs AMD).
Although it might be outdated, but it gives general performance of x264 within different CPU(s).
In the benchmark, it shows that:
- More cache doesn’t always mean more performance (~2-5% performance difference)
- 45nm Core2Quad is faster than its 65nm counterparts (~6-13% performance increase, although it could be attributed to higher L2 cache)
- AMD’s phenom/k10h architecture is generally similar in performance compared to Intel’s Core
- Windows Vista gives slightly slower performance than XP (~1-2% decrease)
- With overclocking, x264 gives slightly linear performance increase
EDIT: it looks like there are more updated benchmark result from TechARP (with Sandy Bridge included). below is the 2nd pass result from x264 HD Benchmark 4.0